The Downtube 9FS takes folding bike comfort to a whole new level. With its state-of-the-art front and rear suspension system, the 9FS is the most comfortable bike we offer. The suspension will absorb the road imperfections, which will keep your body fresh. Long rides will seem shorter than ever thanks to its comfort and build quality.
The top tier light aluminum frame makes the 9FS smooth to ride around the clock. It's also rock-solid when it comes to build quality and has an expandable frame will simply grow with you.
The 9FS comes fitted with a front derailleur braze-on ( with cable routing ), disc brake tabs, head tube bag interface, pump interface, kickstand mount, two water bottle braze-ons, rack braze-ons, and removable frame protector from below can act as a kickstand when folded.
All this makes taking the 9FS on a trip around town or around the world as convenient as it gets.
The quality of the 9FS begins with the suspension system and solid aluminum frame, and extends into every single detail. This includes massive welds, beautiful design, cold forged cranks, and lightweight integrated headset system.
Ride the 9FS around and you will instantly feel the quality of the high end 9sp racing drive train. With a performance matching that of the Shimano Deore, this is the best quality drive train you will find on a folding bike under $1000.
Once you try using the brakes, you’ll notice how powerful they are. The 9FS comes fitted with high-end two finger Tektro levers (with a comfort rubber grip) Tektro V brakes and matching double-wall aluminum-machined sidewall rims.
The textured rim surface is essential to get optimal braking performance, other manufacturers still use slick rims which allow the brakes to slide on the rims surface. This bike is also disc brake ready with 6-bolt interfaces on both front and rear hubs, and cable stops for discs.
The stock brake system is ideal for the majority of customers, and better for travelers ( disc rotors are likely to bend while folding & unfolding) . Please read our disc vs V-brake article to decide which is best for you. Overall, the quality brakes make stopping quick and easy.
Turning the 9FS into an 18 or 27-speed bicycle is super easy thanks to the front derailleur braze-on with cable routing, which is included with every 9FS folding bike. We use 130BCD cold forged cranks which will accept another chainring for easy conversion to 18sp. for faster downhill riding, all you have to do is place a bigger chain ring. Most customers go with 58T-60T big rings. Please read about double and triple chainring conversions.
Despite being so feature-packed, the 9FS is extremely portable. When folded, you can conveniently fit it in any vehicle, boat, or train which makes carrying it around as pleasant as riding it.
The 9FS a steal at $499. Folding bikes with similar features are more than twice the price. This is due to our low-cost, customer direct high-value business model.
If you are looking for a premium folding bike with suspension at a bargain price, the 9FS is what you are looking for.
- Integrated threadless headset
- Front derailleur braze-on will allow one to turn it into a 27sp bike.
- Head tube and seat tube interface for bags, pumps, or battery packs
- Rear swingarm bolt can be removed from non-drive side (easy to disassemble the frame for super compact storage)
- Lighter stem which folds thinner
- Upgraded drivetrain w/trigger shifters
- Disc hubs (front and rear) with disc mounts on the frame
- Upgraded brakes, levers, and noodle
- Upgraded BB
- Lighter fork
- Powder coat paint with clear coat on top.
- Aluminum stem dial (older models used plastic)
- Upgraded cable housing
- Upgraded kickstand mount
- Cold forged cranks
- Sealed cartridge bottom bracket.
- Preload adjustable trans-arch suspension fork
- Rear disc tabs
- Lightweight and easy to fold alloy pedals
- Alloy and stainless frame and stem quick releases
- Machined sidewall rims
- Lowest price 9-speed folder brand in the world...all others cost over $1,000!
- 24H/28H spoked front/rear wheels for light weight
- 1.5" front tire for low rolling resistance
- Replaceable 48T chainring
- Stainless Steel spokes
- Upgraded brake levers with textured grip
- Frame interface for pump on the rear of seat tube
- Mini bar-ends (With many folding bikes, it is difficult to steer with a long stem. Bar-ends solve this problem but make the bike difficult to fold. Not with our mini bar-ends - they are easy to turn and easy to fold!)
- Folding left and right pedals for compactness
- Plastic chainring cover to make keep chain from getting dirt and grime in your car or storage area. Also keeps the chain from falling off
- Ding-a-ling bell to alert pedestrians and cars
- Extra-wide rise handlebars to allow the rider to stretch out and feel comfortable. Rotating the rise bars can push the rider towards the saddle ( for upright comfort riding ) or away from the saddle (for more aggressive riding)
- Super duper soft comfortable grips
- Adjustable height stem allows bike to be used by kids and adults
- Front and rear Quick Release skewers to quickly remove either wheel
- Velo "love channel" saddle
- Braze-ons to allow a water bottle cage or pump
Weight: 27.5 lbs
Folding time: 13 seconds
Rider Weight: 255 lbs max.
Frame: Xtra-Light aluminum frame with 850-pound coil spring shock
Fork: Zoom fork with disc tabs for disc brakes
Saddle: Velo "love channel" saddle
Seat post: Kalin 500 mm aluminum seat post ( super long to accommodate short and tall riders )
Brakes: Tektro aluminum V-brakes with strong springs (frame includes cable routing for disc brakes and disc-compatible hubs)
Brake Levers: Tektro aluminum brake levers (with 2-finger comfort grip)
Front wheel: Quando 24H QR disc hub with double-wall rim & stainless steel spokes
Rear Wheel: Quando 28H QR disc cassette hub with double-wall rim & stainless steel spokes
Tires: Kenda 20 (406mm) x 1.5" front and 20 (406mm) x 1.75" rear
Shifters: Sun Race 9sp triggers (the best value trigger shifter in the market)
Cassette: Sun Race 9sp 11-32 (this is one of the nicest cassettes on the market) Derailleur: Sun Race M93 9sp ( one of the smoothest derailleurs )
Cranks: Prowheel aluminum 170 mm 48T with chain guard
Gear inches: 28 to 81.5
Chain: KMC with masterlink for super-quick removal & cleaning
Pedals: Aluminum folding right and left
9FS Folding and Unfolding
30 day satisfaction guarantee on all Downtube bikes.
Please see our terms and conditions for details.