Folding bikes have smaller and stiffer frames than standard bikes, due to a smaller triangular frame. They also have smaller wheels which absorb less shock, therefore folding bikes need more suspension than a regular big wheel bike. Our 8S has a comfortable front suspension fork to made the ride super plush and comfortable. It's built on the same aluminum frame as our top selling 9S, but with less expensive component package to keep the price under $350.
The gears are based on an 11-32 rear cassette, the gear range will allow riders to climb steep hills, while allowing a maximum speed over 20mph. Additionally, we include a front derailleur braze-on with cable routing, so the gears are easily expandable ( to 16 or 24 speed ) for riding through the mountains. The angle adjustable stem allows a custom fit for both tall and short riders, by adjusting both the stem angle and virtual top tube length simultaneously. The wide handlebars and cool bars ends will give you total control and confidence. Riders naturally hold the bar ends ( at the edge of the handlebar ) this provides additional leverage and makes turning smoother. In short, the bike’s build quality is solid as a rock, and the components quality make it roll smooth as silk.
On top of being more comfy than most other folding bikes, you will love the high quality 8sp gripshift drivetrain by Microshift. We are the only folding bike manufacturer that uses cassettes on our $300 models. Cassette drivetrains shift much smoother than our competitors low end freewheels. Cassettes have ramps and pins for easy up and down shifting. We added high quality drive train parts to bond with a high end aluminum frame and comfortable fork & a small fold. If you could describe this bike in one cool sentence, it would be “This bike rocks!”
You will love the lightweight aluminum frame & rack, light plastic rear fender, adjustable kickstand, and removable frame protector...all are perfect for a commuter bike.
The frame includes a headtube bag interface ( check out our head tube bag system ), pump interface ( behind the seat tube ), and water bottle braze-ons, but pump and cage are not included. Overall, this bike is ready for anything: disc brake tabs, bag system interface , water bottle interface, kickstand, rear fender for the rain ( the frame acts as a front fender so it is not required )
When folded, it fits in any size vehicle. Two of these will fit in a standard trunk. We had one customer fit his 8S in a Smart Car ( these are really small ). Additionally, you will get tons of attention when riding on your bike.
- Aluminum frame
- Heavy Duty rear rack
- Rear Fender
- Front derailleur braze-on will allow one to turn it into a 24sp bike.
- Head tube and seat tube interface for bags, pumps, or battery packs
- Angle adjustable stem
- Microshift 8sp drivetrain w/trigger shifters
- Lighter fork with aluminum lowers and crown
- Preload adjustable trans-arch suspension fork
- Rear disc tabs
- Lightweight and easy to fold right pedal ( left non folding )
- Aluminium frame
- Lowest price 8-speed suspension commuter folder in the world…most others cost over $1,000!
- 24H/28H spoked front/rear wheels for light weight
- thinner 1.5" front tire for low rolling resistance
- Stainless Steel spokes
- Frame interface for pump on the rear of seat tube
- Mini bar-ends (With many folding bikes, it is difficult to steer with a long stem. Bar-ends solve this problem but make the bike difficult to fold. Not with our mini bar-ends – they are easy to turn and easy to fold!)
- Plastic chainring cover to make keep chain from getting dirt and grime in your car or storage area.
- Bell to alert pedestrians and cars
- Soft foam comfortable grips
- Adjustable height stem allows bike to be used by kids and adults
- Front and rear Quick Release skewers to quickly remove either wheel
8S Folding and Unfolding
30 day satisfaction guarantee on all Downtube bikes.
Please see our terms and conditions for details.